Windows OS on main page
Do full list of Windows operating systems codenames need on main page? They are placed on separate page and don't need to be placed to main page prior to category list.
- the List_of pages on wikipedia are all good themes that could be added: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Allpages/Lists_of
- Get the page to display the number of names in the schemes
- Yeah i would like to do that, but I really don't know how.. --drue 09:39, 6 Jul 2005 (CDT)
- The best naming scheme I ever saw was used at Digital Equipment Corporation's (DEC) western research facility outside of Seattle. It was called DEC WEST, but unofficially known as DEC WET. All of the hostnames related to wetness. Names were like these: moss, mold, rust, drip, drop, damp, slime, etc. It would be great if one of the many folks from that facility came along and contributed. --CJ 17:38, 27 Sep 2005 (CDT)
- Hi Drue, I'm not real sure on the etiquette of all this, but I added a page on your main page for naming schemes that have a 'finite' number of names. That is, schemes that have a fixed number of names. Mind you, for some reason the (edit) link alongside the heading "No. of Names in the Theme" doesn't show the text contained.(I must have done something wrong, and the text can only be edited from the main page (edit) button.) --Dazzam 17:23, 11 January 2007 (CST)
- Dazzam, the changes look great - and the finite list is a really clever idea. In fact, I think I'll eliminate the "Featured Naming Scheme" for now. --drue 11:16, 12 January 2007 (CST)
- Thanks for the laugh - I remember an old employer with a network admin who was a huge Star Trek fan so he named all of his servers after characters from the series - picard, borg, data, worf, etc. All was fine until he went on vacation and the Chicago email server (data) failed and nobody could figure out which machine had the backups. I was walking by the server room late one night ('cause that's how I roll) and he was hunched over the keyboard frantically typing while the ops manager was circling behind him shouting "WHY COULDN'T YOU JUST CALL IT CHICAGO?!?!"
Unsolicited friendly suggestion ;)
On the main page, there is a section called Naming Schemes By Server Type which links out to pages. ...it seems to me that those would actually be a perfect use for categories instead. It would provide more automatic collation of the schemes, would create links from the scheme pages back to appropriate lists & would allow a scheme to be easily put into many server types. For example, you could add something to the category Category:Server Type/Email Server by adding the text: [[Category:Server Type/Email Server]] to a scheme page.
Hope that helps!
- A Random Wikian
- Not yet registered but still doing some classification work, I could have some questions about how the classification of lists and scheme should be done.
Seams to me the moment to explain or find with the community how it should be done to lead to a simple use for the readers.
Any ideas or wishes ?
What does the asterisk denote in the list of categories?
Support for other languages
Is there a support for other languages? I'd like to contribute translation to Russian. --RadRussianRus